Many people use word processing applications like Microsoft Word or Google Docs to create their documents.
However, when they paste text from these documents into an Web-based application (like Planning Pod), sometimes things don't go well. Like the fonts may look mismatched or cannot be changed. Or paragraph returns don't work properly. Or the text is not editable. Or the cursor jumps around. Or it even breaks the tool they are working in.
Why does this happen?
Simply put, text on the Web works VERY differently than it does in a word processing program like MS Word. And Microsoft is notorious for adding all sorts of undreadable (and invisible) code into documents that ruin formatting when it is pasted over.
Best Solution for Copy-and-Pasting From Another Document - Via a .TXT File
This option removes the formatting from your document so it pastes over "clean" to Planning Pod, at which point you can use our formatting tools. Here's how you do it:
- In Microsoft Word (or your word processing program), save your document as a .txt file.
- Open the new .txt document using the native text editor program on your computer:
- For PCs, use the Notepad program.
- For Macs, use the TextEdit program.
- Copy-and-paste from the text editor program on your computer into Planning Pod. Then user our formatting tools to format your text inside of Planning Pod.
If you copy-and-paste formatted text from another document (like Microsoft Word)...
We do our best to clean up the text as much as possible, so we:
- Strip out as many MS Word tags as we can.
- Strip out all MS Word fonts and replace them with the font you chose for your account.
- Strip out all document/paragraph styling from MS Work (like colors, tabs, odd fonts or font sizes).
- Preserve as much formatting as possible (like bullets, bold, italic, underline, etc.).
You can actually see this happen if you paste in formatted text and wait one second.
If you experience issues with text you have pasted over from another document...
You need to do the following:
- Delete all the text you pasted over and save your changes. Make sure you delete every last character and carriage return.
- Follow the "Best Solution" instructions above to paste in the desired text.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you use the Grammarly application, it will interfere with our text editing tool and you will need to deactivate Grammarly for the Planning Pod site.